- To make the crème caramel, combine the milk, cream, orange peel, lemon peel and cinnamon stick in a pan. When the mixture comes to the boil, remove it from the heat, cover with a pan lid or cling film and leave to infuse.
- After 20 minutes, remove the pieces of peel and the cinnamon and add the diced Urgèlia cheese PDO (from L’Alt Urgell and La Cerdanya). The milk mixture must still be hot so that the cheese melts fully.
- Mix with a hand blender and strain. When the mixture is just warm, add the whole egg, 60 g of sugar and the three egg yolks (keep the whites for later) and mix well.
- Pour into individual crème caramel pots and place in a bain-marie baking dish with boiling water. Bake in the oven at 160 °C for 20 minutes.
- To make the foam, beat the egg whites with the remaining 20 g of sugar to soft peak stage. Then immediately add a spoon of apple jam and grated ginger.
- To serve, unmould the crème caramels and place each one on a plate. Garnish with the foam and a mint leaf.
For four people:
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg yolks (save the whites for the foam)
- 80 g sugar (60 g for the whole egg, 20 g for the egg whites)
- 300 ml milk
- 200 g cream
- 100 g Urgèlia cheese PDO (from L’Alt Urgell and La Cerdanya), diced
- Apple jam
- Fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Orange peel
- Lemon peel
- 4 mint leaves