- Shell the peas, put to one side. Peel and finely chop the Figueres onion. Cook in a cast iron casserole with a little oil. When half-cooked, add the chopped garlic and the grated tomatoes. Leave to cook until it forms a thick sauce.
- In the meantime, prepare the crab above a dish so that you don’t lose any of the crabs’ juice and coral.
- Open the crab from behind using a large spoon and press upwards. This way, you can lift off the top half of the shell, giving you a good access to the part where there is the meat. Keep any juice and coral that come out. Cut into small pieces with the half-moon knife, taking care not to crack the leg shell. It is very irritating to find small pieces of shell while you’re eating the rice.
- Add the crab to the sauce and stir a few times. Add the rice, and one minute later, the boiling stock. Leave to cook for 10 minutes at high heat.
- In the meantime, wash and cut the penny bun mushrooms. Sauté them at high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the peas and the mushrooms, add salt and set to low heat. Leave the rice to cook and, 2 minutes before it is ready, add the crab juice and the coral. Turn off, add the butter and grated cheese and stir. Leave for a couple of minutes more.
Recipe by Pep Nogué
Serves 4 people
- 1 kg spider crabs
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil (Catalan PDOs)
- 1 Figueres onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 hanging tomatoes
- 250 g penny bun mushroom
- 400 g round-grain rice (PDO Arròs del Delta de l’Ebre)
- 500 g freshly picked peas
- 100 g Cadí butter PDO Mantega de l’Alt Urgell i la Cerdanya
- 50 g grated Urgèlia cheese PDO Formatge de l’Alt Urgell i la Cerdanya
- fish stock