- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, salt, sugar and yeast). Mix together the liquid ingredients (honey, eggs, milk, Muscat wine and anisette).
- Then combine the two mixtures together and add the Cadí butter PDO.
- Work the ingredients to form a dough. Add extra flour if the dough sticks to your hands a lot.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and leave the dough to prove till it has doubled in volume.
- Briefly knead the dough and then roll it out into an oval, the traditional shape of a St. John’s Day Coca.
- Place it on a baking tray lined with baking parchment and leave to prove again until it has doubled in volume.
- Once the dough has risen, place your favourite glacé fruit on top, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with a pinch of sugar. Then bake in the oven at 230 °C for 15 minutes.
- When you remove the coca from the oven, give it an attractive finishing touch by sieving icing sugar on top.
Chef’s tip: the more aromatic the dough, the more flavoursome it will be. So if you want, add orange zest, spices or other liqueurs to the mixture.
Intriguing fact: the honey makes the dough not only sweeter but also softer.
Happy St. John’s Day!
Ingredients for one St. John’s Day Coca (350 grams)
- 170 g strong flour
- 30 g white sugar
- 100 g Cadí DOP butter (soft, at room temperature)
- 3 g salt
- 12 g honey
- 4 eggs
- 75 cl whole milk
- 12 cl sweet or semi-sweet wine made with Muscat grapes
- 12 cl sweet anisette
- 8 g fresh yeast
- Glacé fruit (to taste)
- Icing sugar (to taste)