Perfect combinations with Mató
With fruit: diced, mashed, in compotes or jams.
With dried fruit or nuts: raw, roasted, whole or diced.
Make yourself a healthy breakfast with mató:
- Mix the mató with diced fruit and nuts and pour a little honey on top.
- Spread the mató on a piece of toast, add a little sugar and eat with a glass of orange juice.
And as a snack:
- Spread a generous helping of jam on a slice of bread and place the mató, cut into thin slices, on top.
- Make a sandwich with mató, tomato, lettuce and tuna fish.
- Grill some tomato slices and when cooked, place a little mató and some anchovies on top.
- Add mató balls to a cold water melon and tomato soup.
- Blend a little mató in a cream of pumpkin soup.
- Stuff some endives with mató, nuts and raisins.
With sausages or smoked fish:
- Wrap some diced mató in thin slices of smoked salmon.
- Grill a slice of ham, place a few pieces of mató on top and serve with breadsticks.
- Blend strawberries with sugar and use as a topping for the mató.
- Add a tub of mató to your crème caramel recipe.
- Make a mousse by mixing the mató with cream or whipped egg whites and sugar.
- You can add the mató to other sweet foods such as fried dough balls (bunyols), sponge cake, custard, lemon cream, etc.
Mató, a ricotta-like cheese typical of Catalonia, is mainly served with honey as a dessert. But its taste and smooth texture blend well with many other foods, recipes and meals